Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Extremes




 Seems like I jump from project to project without much thought given to a theme or era. I guess that's what makes this modeling thing so interesting to me. I'm not locked into any one particular time frame or type of vehicle. Or even whether I will be doing a vehicle or a house, barn or whatever. Anyway, I've certainly strayed from any coherent pattern here this month. Without a doubt the largest vehicle I've ever built is the Mack M75 quarry truck you see. This is a kit from Ralph Ratcliffe Models that has his usual, exceptional fit and finish.  Not quite as heavily weathered as I did to it's little brother the M65 a short time ago.




A definite departure from this monster is the next set that I decided to pair up together. The Jordan Ford Model AA is obviously a favorite of mine if you've seen many of the other postings I've placed here. I built the wrecker bed and tow unit for this truck from scratch out of styrene. Wanting to finally do a tow truck pulling a wreck, I turned to another Jordan, the Model A sedan.







I really worked this one over. By taking the Dremel tool to the inside and chewing out some plastic, I achieved the rotted look you see here. And with a series of washes and dabs of chalk got what I thought was a pretty awful looking car. A broken window, exposed engine and front hubs and the open roof with ribs showing add to the dilapidated look. If you go back two posts there is another quick look of this wreck sitting in my new garage.









At the Springfield show I picked up Sylvan's newest kit, a Fruehauf livestock trailer that is resin with laser cut wooden sides. These are very delicate but manageable if careful. I paired this with the Chevy cab over from Sylvan from the early 50's which is a good match to the time span of the trailer.









Last and most recent is just one more of those Roco pieces that I've been able to acquire through the help of others. The rack body here is scratch built out of styrene and here's another shot from inside my truck repair garage.




Well, I jumped around quite a bit here. And as spring fights hard to take hold here in Maine, I hope you all have fared well through this, the toughest of winters I have seen in a while. And as the flowers begin to poke their shoots through the soil, give remembrance to those you have loved and lost.


No comments: